Best Amenities to Look For in a 55+ Community
Those 55 and older in search of the ideal independent living lifestyle, they're looking for a community that does more than meet their basic needs. After working so hard their whole lives, and entering a new chapter of enjoying the best parts of the hassles of home ownership or upkeep. They may be ready for a senior living lifestyle marked by comfort and convenience, not to mention elements of choice, elegance, and luxury.
Top Amenities to Consider in 55+ Community
When you are considering the features of any 55+ community, seniors should take into account the purpose of each element and how it will enhance their quality of life. Many amenities at senior living communities focus on the core aspects of well-being: physical health, social life, emotional wellness, spiritual life, intellect, and creativity. The options are nearly unlimited, the following list describes a few of the top amenities seniors are looking for in today's 55+ communities:
- Housing Choices— Senior living communities can differ greatly in their physical appearance and design. Many will accommodate all residents in just one building with apartments and common spaces under a single roof, while some others utilize resort style. Different communities offer different choices for where residents can reside. While some prefer a spacious apartment down the hall from friends and gathering spaces, others may enjoy the privacy of a small home in a neighborhood setting.
- Tons of Dining Venues— While a single cafeteria or dining room might satisfy most residents during mealtimes, it is also nice to be offered options other than a sit-down, restaurant-style meal. Especially for busier seniors, a cafe or deli-style marketplace can offer convenience for meals on the go. While some might prefer the switch-up of enjoying a cup of coffee as opposed to a breakfast rush. Multiple dining venues allow for more choices to meet individual preferences, even those who might have decided on a whim.
- A Place to Pamper Yourself— Never underestimate the luxury of an on-site spa or even the convenience of an on-site barber shop and beauty salon. These amenities might seem unnecessary at first, especially for those who enjoy their regular hairdresser or don't mind the drive downtown, but others come to appreciate the ease and simplicity of stopping by the salon on their way to dinner or right after a dip in the pool. When muscles begin to ache from an intense workout or from sleeping poorly, it's easy to book a short massage on campus.
- Health & Wellness Facilities— Physical exercise is a vital part of a healthy senior lifestyle, and the best 55+ communities will offer plenty of opportunities to stay fit. Fitness centers, swimming pools, group exercise classes, and personal trainers are excellent amenities for seniors to take advantage of to enhance their physical health. Some communities include walking trails and putting greens, tennis courts, pickleball courts, bocce ball, and other exercise outdoors.
- Creative Spaces— Retirement is an exciting time to take up a beloved hobby full-time or finally learn a new skill. The top 55+ communities include spaces where artistic recreation, craftsmanship, and other creative passions can thrive. Art studios and classes, workshops, and on-site theaters allow residents to pursue their creativity and help connect them to other masters in the field.
- Entertainment— Consider whether the communities you visit include entertainment opportunities, or if you are responsible for making your fun. Many communities include a movie theater, or billiards game room, and most incorporate recreational programs for residents to experience new things. Activity programmers bring in talented professionals into the community to lead cooking classes, host a comedy night, or other fun events.
- Social Space— Communities should have plenty of common spaces available where residents can come together and share life. Bars and lounges, pubs, and even outdoor patios are perfect amenities for accommodating groups of friends for informal gatherings. It is important to consider whether a community not only offers comfortable spaces to enjoy a new company of friends but also creates opportunities to meet new people and foster an active social life.
- Continued Growth— Many seniors entertaining retirement look forward to the opportunities they have to learn new things or stay current in their field. Leading independent living communities include amenities like a library or Internet cafe, in which residents can actively pursue new knowledge or learn new things. Communities might offer close connections to nearby colleges, some of which might offer continuing education or lifelong learning classes for seniors.
The Bottom Line
55+ community living might offer attractive amenities for their residents, but it is important to consider how these features will benefit you directly. Consider how you might plan to spend your time once you move and choose from the communities with the amenities available to help you reach your goals. Make sure you stay true to your interests and wishes, and you are sure to find the community to enhance your way of life.
Contact Your Denver Realtor at Steller Real Estate for more information